Thursday, November 18, 2010

In the Center of Him

I went to the ocean recently to celebrate life with a few friends and in the moments of adventure, laughter, bliss, beauty, and awe I found myself in the center of Him. I love feeling ridiculously small, minute really, smack dab in the middle of something so huge, so powerful, so beautiful, so unpredictable all I can do is be...speechless, motionless, in utter awe and disbelief that at any second I could be engulfed by waves, crushed by rocks, burned and obliterated by a shooting star if He simply thought it so. Yet...He doesn't. He waits for me. He pursues me. He loves me. He chooses me.

With a bottle of champagne in hand I moseyed toward the beach. The delicate salty night air lapped at my nose in small gentle gusts. I closed my eyes and slowly inhaled till the air filled my entire being. Then, opening my eyes back up, I slowly exhaled and continued on my short journey to the oceanfront. I was in a trance. Completely captivated by the sparkling stars and lured forward by the rhythmic crashing of the waves on the shore.

I shuffled up the stairs leading to the sand and stopped in my tracks. Stunned. It was so beautiful. So wild and alive. The moon was bright and illuminated the waves as they rolled like thunder breaking on the shoreline. Once I regained my senses I walked toward the ocean. Stunned a second time as my foot met the chilled sand that felt like snow under my feet. So cold. So so cold. I tiptoed toward the water surprised to find the wet sand was warmer than the dry sand. I plopped down on the beach, butt in the dry cold sand and feet on the firm warm wet sand. The waves danced up the sand stretching to touch my toes, teasing me with promises of brief moments of warmth. I found myself inching closer toward the water as the waves receded back and the chilly night air nipped at my once warm now damp toes.

I closed my eyes again and sat silently. Breathing in. Slowly. Breathing out. Slowly. Then remembering I had the champagne I opened my eyes and grasped the bottle with both hands. Opened it. And drank. And smiled. And drank some more. I rocked back and forth in the sand making a nook of sorts so I would be upright enough to drink, yet at an angle to take in the waves and the stars simultaneously. I smiled and sighed as I let my surroundings permeate my being. The radiance of the moon, warmth and coolness of the night, twinkling stars, crashing waves, champagne bubbles tickling my nose...I was in the center of Him. All senses alive and engaged surrounded by the vastness of the star laden night sky and the ocean.

The ocean gets me. The clear crisp night and shimmering sky gets me. HE gets me. It's like the gentle caress of a hand brushing the hair off the nape of my neck. A whisper tickling my ear. The brush of lips on my cheek. My knees weaken, my breath quickens, my heart flutters. This is what being in the center of Him feels like...this is what makes life so special...so beautiful...so precious...not just precious-priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment